Monday, April 7, 2008

The Most Powerful Reason Why

I wasn't going to post today. I was just gonna go around to some of the shredder blogs and soak up a little inspiration, when I read something in Lynda's Blog that really tapped into what I needed to hear:

"The reason for exercising and eating well. It´s to be able to live life to the hilt in every way..."

I really want that. God, I think about nothing else almost every day. A friend of mine had been keeping my guitar for me while I was in the Philippines. I studied music when I was a kid and up through college, but I never really was much of a guitar player. I played violin in the orchestra, but I gave that up years before the accident. After the car accident, I had a nerve damage on my ulnar nerve of my left arm from where the other car hit. I couldn't really play much, but nerve stuff is weird. I kept the pressure off my arm, watched the way I slept and took a break from playing any music for the last three years. I thought I'd try the other day, because I'd started work on some comedy songs that I wanted to work out.

Holy SMOKES! I couldn't use my left hand for nearly two days. There isn't too much tingling, but my hand is SO WEAK. And the pain kind of grew to scary levels. But I'm glad I tried so I know that I'm weak. Now that I know, I can work on slowly building my strength in my hand over time so I can play again. I'd be lying if I didn't say it made me super sad. Maybe it was the pain. Sometimes that's a bummer.

It was so strange. One of my sister's bands, Dimebox Band, had their CD release party last night, and my friend Joey Buttler had a show on Friday that Edie and I went to. It was really fun and inspiring, but later I was surprised that I was kind of sad about not being able to play and how long it will take to just be able to again.

I went to the music store and bought a guitar book and a new capo anyway. Nothing lasts forever. I'm typing with both hands right now. But yeah, one day soon I'll be playing my guitar, running really fast, and wearing high heeled shoes even on concrete floors while standing for hours at a time and climbing any set of stairs without even a second thought. I wish it were today though. Soon.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see you're back Christy! Remember it is about doing your best for today!! Keep moving!

Anonymous said...

Christy, so glad when you make the rounds! I like what Diane says...do your best for today. little by little you will make your way. never give up!

KaliLilla.com said...

I know how you feel Christy. I lost the hearing in my right ear last September and I stopped playing my guitar since. I don't talk about it much - trying to pretend it didn't happen - still waiting and hoping hearing will come back. :(

Otter Christy said...

Lilla, I'm so sorry about your hearing. I hope it returns soon. I'm waiting and hoping on my nerve, too. Maybe if we finally get to meet in person we can play guitar together--two dreams in one swoop.

KaliLilla.com said...

That would be too cool!

Or I'll be your extra hand if you be my extra ear. Haha, what a team: the two-man-one-guitar band. ;)