Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Day 3: Walking and Talking / Correction Day 2

I needed some privacy yesterday to take a call from a friend in need so I brought my phone on my walk and talked. I ended up walking the furthest I've walked by a tenth of a mile. I'm just shy of the 2 mile mark.

I was back at the USO tonight. I spent almost my whole shift just talking with two Marines getting ready to ship out to Japan. One Marine had already been in for two years and spent 60 days including Christmas driving across the sand (which is actually topsoil that has been overfarmed) in freezing cold water eating those horrible MRE meals from a pouch. He made a movie on his laptop to stave off the boredom. The other Marine was just out of boot camp and had never been out of the country before. Neither of them could sleep and literally were just bored. I asked if they wanted a video game or frozen pizza, and they said, "No." I asked them if they wanted to talk, and they said, "Yes." We talked the whole night.

The best parts of my day consisted of just walking and talking. Such a simple day, but I really got a lot out of it. I hope those Marines stay safe.

Yesterday I'm grateful I got to:
• Eat FIVE servings of fruits and vegetables
• Drink FOUR glasses of water
• Walk 1.9 miles (a record)
• Meditate
• Back exercises

Me at the gallery show with my friend's pop surrealist painting. It's a painting of Rainbow Brite. The head in the wheelbarrow is Gem.

Correction: The painting is of Strawberry Shortcake not Rainbow Brite. Thanks Shari!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

time flies and feet go by quick when you are talking.
we must pray for our soldiers. am so thankful for them "fighting" for our freedom!

KaliLilla.com said...

Yay! Cartoon bubbles are back! I missed them.

I bet those Marines really appreciated having someone to talk to. You are providing a great service and it seems like you are getting alot in return too.

p.s. good luck with cute guy! ;)

Andrew said...

Hey Christy, awesome achievment with the 2 miles. We will be able to go running in no time with your progress ;-))

Good luck with DC 2.0.

Take care,

Andrew

Adam Waters said...

Hi Christy, it is awesome to "see" you again. Looks like you are having a blast in CA! Congrats on walking 2 miles, that is very cool.
Adam

Mike Groom said...

yeah, love your photos with the speech bubbles! New layout looks cool as well. way to go with your walking, that is absolutely fantastic!!

Marbella said...

Hey Christy,
Your life is getting to on course and now am awaiting your comedy DVD to be published. Love your baggy jeans and the fun of buying skinnier ones. Have fun with those marines! Love your blog.
Lynda

Anonymous said...

Isn't that button cool! It was made by Jamie--one of the participants in my challenge. I'm so happy you visit. It makes me feel great. I am here fo you , too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Christy...the painting your friend did...that's Strawberry Shortcake not Rainbow Brite. I only know because I bought EVERY SS thing in the world for my daughter.

Joni said...

Hey chicka sorry I haven't commented in a while - I got behind on reading and had a whole bunch of posts to catch up on but now I am up to date. Congrats on all your progress walking and I am so glad you are part of SC 2.0. It wouldn't be the same without you. Wasn't the timing perfect with you coming back to daily blogging? I am so excited to see what's next...talk to you soon!

Joni said...

Oh yeah and I forgot to say that I like the new layout. Change of scenery... :)

Christina said...

YeY! Strawberry Shortcake! Rainbow Brite - i remember the song "Rain-bow Brite
see the shi-ny light
I-i'm gonna take you
to Rain-bow Bri-i-ite!"

LoL

Can you tell i was an 80s kid?

Debbie said...

awesome that you could walk almost 2 miles. you have come such a long way! i was never into strawberry shortcake...except eating it.

Anonymous said...

Had to come check things out again today. Loving your new look of your blog! I agree with what Joni said about the timing of you coming back to daily blogging just as Adam starts up the sc 2.0. thanks for your vote of confidence. this shred wouldn't be the same without you!

Otter Christy said...

Suzette You're right. I made a point pray for them last night. They're so young.

Lilla I can't resist heckling myself. lol Cute guy SO hasn't called. I HATE THAT. Oh wells. I'm going to a jazz thing at the museum. Wish me luck.

I'm getting a lot out of that volunteer job. That corny stuff they say about volunteering is true. It is really rewarding.

Andrew I would love to go to the U.K. If you give me a nice head start, I'll race you when I do. It's so great to have you back.

Adam I'm so psyched and grateful to be a shredder. It's helped me so much and more every day. Remember when I just wanted to walk to the kitchen and make coffee? I wonder where I'll be on day 28!

Mike You were the first person to see the new layout. The comic book program came with my laptop and it's the only thing that does the side by side photos that I can figure out. I'm glad you like it. I think it's fun.

Lynda I can't wait to get a comedy DVD out. I've got to get my new "act" together--literally. The serviceman are fun and just lonely. They're SO YOUNG.

ShariDuh! I can't believe I made that mistake. Maybe the Strawberry's ALL OVER her could have tipped me off. Haha. He has a Rainbow Brite one, too, but that one wasn't in the show that night. I've got to put in a correction. :)

JoniThanks for coming by. I totally lucked out for the SECOND TIME. I would have been bummed to miss it. Now, to keep at it and make the final cut. :) I thought a change of scenery would be nice and the new code that we put in for Adam just looked weird on my old blog.

Ceekaye I'm an 80s kid too. Gem is truly outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous. lol

DebbieThanks. I finally got to 2 miles today! I liked the doll, but I like the desert MUCH BETTER. :)

Suzette I'm so glad I didn't miss it. Thanks for noticing the new "look" to my blog. It's kind of gaudy, but kind of fun.