Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Taking it slow


Last night was my first night at the U.S.O. Here's a picture in my brand new U.S.O. volunteer shirt.

I totally lucked out. My fellow volunteer, Jean, is a super cool lady, and the 2am-6am shift is slower and without a lot of chores. Mostly our guests are sleeping, so I just have to do wakeup calls and make coffee or what not and be on hand if somebody misses a plane or needs directions or whatever middle of the night crisis comes about. I'll learn as each thing comes up. But we did get some men from the Air Force in at about 5 am, and my years of being single and not being a particularly good cook came in handy as the most popular order for the boys is to heat up the most depressingly named frozen food item ever - the Celeste PIZZA for ONE.

Years of using strange microwaves and an ability to fearlessly look straight into the glass and know that four minutes on the box never means four minutes in reality came in handy.

My website about thank you notes made a record profit yesterday. The biggest day ever. I am so excited. There are many grateful people in the world.

On the workout front, I've actually been doing my back exercises but forgetting to write it down. Yesterday after my walk, I had that scary weird pain in my leg so I'll have to slow it down. I was just getting carried away with trying to walk further and break a record. Old habits die hard, but I love being mobile so much I'm not gonna let me ego blow it for me. So today I'll walk less distance and really slow and see how I feel.

Yesterday I'm grateful I got to:

• Drink SIX glasses of water
• Eat FIVE servings of fruits and vegetables
• Meditate
• Back exercises
• Walk 1.75 miles

5 comments:

Mike Groom said...

U.S.O. sounds intriguing. Not sure I'd like doing night shift myself.

Great news about your website. Well done! I'll have to have a look around it when I have time.

Take it easy with the workouts. We don't want you injured.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Christy! sounds like your first night went well. Awesome news about your thank you website! as to your walking, you know you don't have to break a record every time?! ;) do what you can, you know your body.
thanks so much for the awesome comments the other day, you really touched my heart!

Marbella said...

Just love reading about your WILD life and all the fun you are having. You are so perfect for that job. They are incredibly lucky to have you there and in charge. Having you walk around again is great, so know you can keep that going little by little. That shirt does look great on you. Things are smiling on my little Christy again.....
Lynda

KaliLilla.com said...

You're doing great - listening to your body, challenging yourself a little but resting when you need to.

Congrats on your thank you website - that's awesome!

Cute shirt. Cute girl. :)

Otter Christy said...

Mike You're right. I don't want to be injured either. It's a drag. The USO is awesome. Most people wouldn't dig on the night shift, that's why I GET THE JOB. :)

Suzette Thanks. I get so carried away sometimes, but not THIS time. I'm slowing down and paying attention. I'm so psyched about the site, too. Yesterday was an even BIGGER day AGAIN.

Lynda It's so much fun to be useful again. You're right little by little I'll get it done. Things are smiling. I'm so happy.

Lilla I've got to remember to keep on listening to my body and it helps to be encouraged for it. I'm totally psyched about the thank you site. Now to put up my Mother's Day pages. :)