Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Stick Fighting - Day 4

Happy Fourth of July everybody! Today while I was at our lawyer's office here in the Philippines, Mom and I were talking to the security guard. I was excited to discover that he teaches Filipino stick and knife fighting to the local police and gives private lessons. I have been dying to learn a martial art, and he is available for daily private lessons. In six weeks of daily lessons he says (even with my spinal condition), I'll be able learn some of the basic self-defense moves for stick fighting. I am even more eager to get my strength and physical stamina up to par so I can make the most of my lessons. I could never afford daily, private lessons in the States. So, for the next two weeks, I'm really going to work on my stamina and strength training so I can be better prepared to learn Stick Fighting. I may even get to learn Knife Fighting basics after that!

To me, it is amazing, because I've always been a bookwork and as my friend Jeremy Kramer used to say a "mathlete." When I was on the road a lot for standup, I felt really vulnerable driving around late at night. Now that I'm planning to go on the road more when I return to the States instead of just performing in Los Angeles, I'll feel so much safer if I had some self defense techniques.

Today, I had 5 servings of fruits and vegetables, 5 glasses of water, did my meditation, journaling, ready my chapter, and danced for 10 songs (40 min.).

My Gratitude List
1) Discovering a teacher
2) Air conditioning in my bedroom
3) Stamps.com
4) Joel Goldsmith
5) Bethel House
6) My newfound dedication improving my fitness
7) DKNY perfume "Be Delicious"
8) long baths
9) Wimbledon on television
10) Josie our housegirl

No comments: