Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Day 18 - Wax On, Wax Off (heavy on the off)

Showing my age with another Karate Kid reference. I wasn't even a big fan of the movie, but my sister keeps teasing me. (Long distance via iChat. Isn't technology amazing.) I had to pass on my lesson today. I am a little disappointed, but my veal-like existence for the last two years has left my muscles very weak. So I get to be grateful for a day of rest. I am still walking like Frankenstein, but after icing my back yesterday no weird crazy pains. Which means I am actually building real MUSCLE. For the longest time my back pain would kick in before I could really feel any kind of muscle fatigue, but that is not so not the case now. My butt and thighs are so sore. My abs don't hurt much anymore. I'll be okay to give it another go tomorrow night.

I know something must be up as far as energy expenditure is going, because before these lessons I have had super easy time watching what I eat (here in the Philippines. In the States I spent a lot of time hanging out with my fellow comics at every single 24 hour diner in Los Angeles.) But while I've been here, I've been hungry from time to time, but I can always eat vegetables or a little fruit and have a little meat and maybe a half a desert once or twice a week. But since I started these lessons, I am so exhausted I think I'm not hungry. But the second I take a bite of meat or an egg or something fatty or simple carbs like bread or something, I AM INCREDIBLY HUNGRY. I have chicken and rice today, and I took one bite of that chicken and a spoonful of rice and it was like I'd never eaten chicken or rice before. My body craved it down to its toes. And after my first lesson, I had a craving for CANDY like I couldn't believe. I split a Kit Kat bar with my Mom and that took care of that, but I didn't even feel sick or regret that candy bar. It was like, "Oh, that's perfect. I feel like a million bucks." I mean it was like I've been on the beach all day swallowing salt water and I get a slice of water melon GOOD.

Portions are naturally small in the Philippines so I don't overeat like I do in the States. But it's weird, I usually take a banana off the table and eat that first and then just eat what I have room for. But I saw that chicken and rice today, and that pork and spaghetti yesterday, and it was sayanara fruits and vegetables. It's caveman Christy.

Yesterday, I made sure to eat a bowl of oatmeal before my lesson, and that seemed to do the trick on cutting down that candy craving, but I'm going to keep up with eating the meat and eggs. I think my body is building muscle for the first time in two years and it NEEDS that protein.

My body is so sore, but I AM SO HAPPY! I just know I'm getting stronger.

Yes journal, yes chapter, no dancing, no Arnis lesson, ONE serving of fruits and vegetables, EIGHT glasses of water.

Gratitude List
1) Delicious chicken
2) Rice
3) My watch (a gift I use every day)
4) Butterflies on the lawn
5) Flowers blooming on our fence
6) Good healthy of my family
7) Niece Ana
8) Nephew Anthony
9) Nephew Jason
10) Sister-in-Law Diana

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure with your body doing all this extra work that it will crave more foods as it needs that more food to feed your muscles. the thing is to choose the right foods to eat. Keep working hard and you will start feeling the difference in your body for sure.