Thursday, December 27, 2007

Positive Procrastination!



Santa brought Doritos for Christmas and Christmas Eve. We never have chips in the house, and I ate some. I also had two cookies and 1/2 a slice of banana bread. Oddly, we also had baked potatoes, which I LOVE, and I couldn't eat more than half of one. Here's the really interesting thing.

Although I had a craving for more junk food the next day, I really have not been hungry so it hasn't been hard to not eat more junk. Normally just opening the chip floodgate would mean I would just lose it. Not the case. Even though I thought to myself, I must have totally "gone off" my food plan" I put in all the food I ate into my Weight Watchers. Guess what? I'm still ON.

Yup, I have an entire ONE flex point left of my 35 so I can just eat my allotted 22 points a day and still be "on plan". Not that I would be all upset for being off. I just get back on. I'm not in a hurry. I've got too many huge life changes and stressy-feelings going on in my life to freak myself out more. I just don't have it in me. Here's the other weird thing.

I was unable to eat all of my 22 allotted points two days running. I no longer force myself to eat when I'm not hungry. I feel like I'm getting in touch with my real appetite. Diets and telling myself I HAVE to eat certain things make me crazy, but I dig the moderate bargaining that the WW system allows me. It's kind of like training wheels to this previously foreign concept of "moderation." I'm kind of psyched about this discovery.

There's something about telling myself I can never eat something or I can only have it one time that gets my mind to clicking. I like saying I can have it any time, because it sort of puts my readily available resources of PROCRASTINATION at work in a POSITIVE WAY. There's a bag of Ruffles in the cabinet with dip right now. When I think about it, I want to eat it. But I'm really not hungry. So I tell myself, "You can always eat it tomorrow." Sometimes tomorrow doesn't come for months. (This is only the second time in six months I've eaten chips of any kind.) I always thought my food cravings could only be fought by discipline, but the real hero is my procrastination. And it's such a powerful weapon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of positive procrastination! I procrastinate all the time. I procrastinated for 12 years before i got my butt into to gear to lose weight. I'll have to adopt that way of thinking when it comes to the "junk" I shouldn't be eating.

Mike Groom said...

Nice post Christy. I might try the positive procrastination myself. I've been into the junk food a bit Christmas and Boxing Day.

Glad WW is working out for you. My sister followed WW and has lost about 60kg.

Great work!

Mike

Tearose said...

LOL cute post, procrastination as a good thing! I'll try that :D

KaliLilla.com said...

Ahhh, the universal law of supply and demand as it applies to dieting. If something is "scarce" (i.e. off limit foods) you are going to want it even more. If it's plentiful and easily accessible all the time, it loses it's appeal. The trick is not to restrict yourself and let your appetite find the proper equilibrium. Umfortunately for me, my mind gets in the way and this is the biggest roadblock to my physical transformation. "Positive procrastination" - that's a great spin - I'm going to try that!