Saturday, November 3, 2007

It's Day Nine! Holy Cow!


Note: This was posted before I saw Adam's video. My thoughts on Diet Mind Set vs. Habit Mindset are below. So this post is like a choose your own adventure.

If you would like to read about Christy's Day Nine with facts and figures go to Post A.

If you would like to read yet another long-winded, post chock full o' feelings regarding diet mindset vs. habit mindset, go to Post B.


Post A: OMG! Did anyone else have trouble uploading photos to blogger? I just kept trying for like a half hour. I just published this post without any text just to make sure my photos got up. I'm SO GLAD it finally worked.

What a day! Yesterday, in my little comic, I wrote that I made it "close" to the kitchen. Andrew, however, congratulated me for getting all the way to the kitchen.

So today, before I did ANYTHING else while my back and legs were still well-rested I made it all the way to the kitchen and back NO WALKER, NO BREAKS and NO HELP. So I can officially accept said congratulations now, Andrew. Thank you.

I have to take really, tiny, small steps, and I could feel my muscles just quivering. Afterward, Ouch. But I've been stretching and walking and doing my back exercise.

Plus, in order to pet my dog, I have to be able to bend down. Bending over is super dangerous, but my legs are SO WEAK, I can't bend down just yet.

So, I have been doing, like, one quarter squat (not even half) over a chair and the resting. Yes, ONE rep and then rest. It makes me laugh. Tomorrow two or more, baby.

Day 14 looms in the future. I am so tired of this walker and not being able to get my own meals and water (especially because I'm trying to drink 6-8 glasses a day). When I say ditch this walker and be able to make the coffee and pet my dog, I mean I want to ditch this walker completely. I am very grateful to my Mom for taking care of me, and this extra time we have together. And I want to walk really bad, too.

My eating is going right according to plan. For those who know weight watchers, I get 21 target daily points and 35 flex points a week that I can eat up any way I choose. Today, I still have 11.5 points LEFT, and for the week I have 30.5 points flex points left. My points reset on midnight Sunday. There have been some days when I didn't even eat all my points, but I always make sure to eat at least 18 so I'm not starving myself or whatnot.

Hey, this post has actual facts in it and not just my feelings. I guess Andrew and Mike and my fellow shredders are rubbing off on me.

Your encouragement mean so much. And I know that I have worked harder at this than I would have had I not done this mission. It's already DAY NINE.

You said it's good to be nervous, right Dougal?

******************
Post B: Diet Mindset vs. Habit Mindset

PS This is really long and may not at all be what Adam was talking about. You can still choose A or just read the cartoon.

Adam said he was interested in thoughts on this topic in any aspect of your life not just fitness. Wow, this topic is very relevant to so many very personal parts of my life. I'll just keep it as short as possible.

Every aspect of my life was in the diet mindset. I never took the time to set the groundwork to get into the habit mindset. I always wanted it NOW. I just had this drive (that I'd often been applauded for) to be different to be better to be more ASAP. I was an Over Achiever. Even as a kid, I'd live from report card to report card, pushing, striving, burning out, pushing more. I lived in constant anxiety, my stomach gurgling all the time, even when I was little.

I read so many Self-Help books and Diet Books. I mean dating back to like when I was in sixth grade and I started reading Dale Carnegie. I needed a quick fix. I needed CHANGE.

I couldn't just stay the same. I hated me and my life no matter what I accomplished, I felt like I can DO MORE. If I did more THEN I would be happy. I couldn't imagine it taking six months or three months or in financial aspects seven years. (Hallelujah that time has past!) It was like I was running a race and I so badly wanted to get to the finish line I just kept sprinting. I would fall down and hurt my ankle and still get up without having any regard for my wounds and run some more.

I'd set the milestones and hold in my pain until I hit the next marker and hit and fall with exhaustion. Then I'd yell at myself for not getting up. I hated myself more and more after I slid back to my old habits after each diet. Pretty soon, I couldn't even keep up my diets or life plans. Then I really hated myself. And I realized, all I ever was trying to do was escape PAIN.

I'd eat away my pain with ice cream and McDonald's. I'd stave off the pain with affirmations and goal setting. I'd deny that the person I was that hurting wounded person was "the real me" and went about trying to change me. But the truth is, that was the real me. And I love that person. I was doing the best I could, and if I really look at me with all my heart I feel a well of compassion.

So I hit a point where I could not run away from pain. I could not diet it away. I couldn't achieve it away with accomplishments, crazy romances, partying, nothing. It all stopped working. I was numb, empty and even physically unable to actually get to the party. (although I TRIED).

And that was my miracle. Like Dougal wrote, I hit my rock bottom. I ran until I cracked wide open and was forced into the willingness to stop and look around.

If you've ever read Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner, (like in English class it's old from 1797, which I had to look up) there's this part where he sees that even the water snakes are beautiful and that moment the albatross around his neck (BTW, that is where that phrase comes from) falls off.

That's when I could actually get into laying the foundation for different habits. The albatross of the dieting mindset was freed. I could feel gratitude and love for my water snakes, past and present, including the way I look, the way I eat, the way I think, the way I am. Not deny what was or is, but see it, feel the pain, and feel the relief and feel the joy and love and happiness that is now. And I succeed to the extent that I can each day and this is enough.

And now with that emptied there is new room for new habits. A "Habit Mindset" that for me is based in gratitude and love for what is and not based in some mythical future that I could diet think my way into perfection.

If you're a fan of the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, remember how it's the old man telling his story to the person with a certain look in his eye. I think that is partly what this blog is about for me. Boy I'm hoping most people chose A.

20 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ciao Christy,
congratulations for making it to the kitchen and back!
Little steps, day by day and before you know it you will be able to bend and pet your dog! What race of dog is it? I love animals! Too bad I cannot keep a dog in my apartment, already have 3 cats, 2 turtles and 2 fishes.
You should see the cats watching me when I workout at home (gym closing day) :-)

Anonymous said...

post a: my problem for so many years was that i was making it to the kitchen way too many times!! lol.
it's those small victories that make the big accomplishments. keep striving for your small victories!
post b: you have really put yourself out there! to be able to look deep inside yourself and share those deep parts of you with us is touching. you have come a long way in your journey of self-acceptance. A lot of us don't let ourselves get that far. we just stay stuck in our past and dwell on it and never go beyond where we currently are. Some of my thoughts go to the fact that so many people try to do this "on their own". You can't do it on your own. we need, i believe, the help of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ who is the one who gives us peace and makes us whole. We can do nothing on our own. His is the one who makes us "enough". He accepts us where we are and for who we are, faults and all.
ok, short sermon over! Christy, I have really enjoyed sharing this adventure with you. this will be a lifelong journey and friendship for many of us. opening your heart to us makes us love you all the more!

Raiden said...

Hey Christy, been following your adventure as part of the shredder council. I must say, your comics are a nice touch to the normal progress photos. I think I relate to your adventure the most out of the other shredders since I've had my share of setbacks as well (coming soon in my blog!) and I really admire your courage to continue making changes when it is just so easy to let an injury become an excuse, a metaphorical crutch or walker. It's so refreshing to see you make real progress!

Marbella said...

Hi Christy,
Got so much from your post today, and love it that you walked to the kitchen. Know you little doggy is waiting and won´t be long. Am not from Tyler (East Texas), but from close by San Antonio. The deal is there is great BBQ in all the towns in Texas. Sure is hard to beat. Enjoyed your post to me! You are really something you know...
Take care. Keep it going. Am watching you.
Lynda

Sammy said...

Christy you are looking great! N your determination in life is... wow.

Back to your story, it was kinda deep so forgive me i couldn't really understand some parts. But I recognize the part where you beat yourself up... sounds alot like me. Man, guess I was too blind to see and I have to slow down and reallylook at myself, not what I wanna achieve.

Well, thanks for your story and for being there to guide me along!

Michael said...

YAY! Way to go, Christy! I knew you'd make it! I relate to alot of what you said in your post today. I have had similar problems. You just keep focusing and you will achieve all your goals, including petting the dog again!

Mike

Unknown said...

Remember with every step taken gets you closer to your finish line. You are literally through daily steps manifestig your goals.
Great job!

Adam Waters said...

What an awesome step to take (and a great metaphor for your journey) Christy. I feel very blessed to have "met" you online and I look forward to your posts every day. Keep up the great work.

Cheers,
Adam

Debbie said...

Christy, big congrats on making it to & from the kitchen. We all know you will be ditching that walker very soon.

Debbie

Otter Christy said...

Massimiliano, thanks for the congrats. The dog is a terrier and poodle mix. His name is Fluffy. Mom went with a classic name.

Suzette, you may have discovered my secret to having my food so good. No way to get to the kitchen!

Otter Christy said...

Raiden, thank you for visiting my blog and even commenting. That's really cool of you. You are right. The walker problems is very metaphorical. It could (and has been for me) be any setback mental, spiritual, physical even financial. Really cool of you to post a comment.

Otter Christy said...

Lynda, I grew up learning to very good lessons. 1) Look both ways when crossing the street. 2) Always go to a BBQ if it's being hosted by a Texan. Hope your cheat meal ROCKED.

Otter Christy said...

Thanks Mike. We have a lot in common. So glad your move is ending. I'll keep focusing on each step.

Otter Christy said...

Sam, thanks. When you look at yourself, love what you see. I love what I see when I look at you. ... But isn't it so much harder when it your own self? lol

Otter Christy said...

Thanks Diane. You are right saying daily steps. LITERALLY. I can see that finish line. :)

Otter Christy said...

Adam, I the feeling is more than mutual. Thank you. You made all this happen. How many times will I type amazing?

Otter Christy said...

Debbie! Yup. Pretty soon it'll be walker ditching time. Thanks for stopping by!

Michael said...

Christy, your blog inspired about half of my post today. Read it and think about what I'm saying. You've done an incredible job so far and the journey is only just beginning. You are truly inspirational and the way you approach this situation just puts me at awe.

Mike

Joni said...

Christy-
As usual, great post. So much of what we do and overcome is mental it's scary. You have made so much progress physically and mentally it's great to see. Keep it up and we will see life so differently at the end. Which will really only be the beginning :)
-JP