Friday, November 2, 2007

Day 8: Progressive Discipline? What could I know about it?


Adam spoke in his Vlog today about the concept of progressive discipline. I thought to myself, "What could I know about this? I'm not even REALLY working out." And then as quicker than ever another voice, said, "You do know something."

I've been an RTP-blog.com follower since the late of April '07, but I didn't even start to use one of Adam's most useful tools, the "accountability blog" in earnest until July 1st.

At first, I just started with smaller minor goals. I knew I did not have the discipline to do what Adam was doing, I even wrote:
I've been inspired by a guy named Adam Waters who's program is very inspiring and INTENSE. I am not so intense for a number of reasons. But if you really want to see somebody go all out and really GO FOR IT, (because my way will be significantly more me and hence a hell of a lot let disciplined) you REALLY HAVE TO CHECK HIM OUT.
Progressive Discipline Means that I Do Not Have to Set Myself Up to Fail

Slowly over time, I started blogging more and upping my commitment to a program. I just couldn't afford to set myself up to run a marathon when I hadn't even made a step. I think that was my problem for a long time. Simply overestimating my mental and physical abilities and setting myself up for failure.

Even when this Group Shred came up, I just posted a comment and said, "I'm in," then rushed over to my best, cyber pal SUZETTE'S blog for some support, and now, I have been blogging and taking photos daily and have even started to walk without my walker. I set a goal and made a plan that was challenging and yet doable.

My Food Has Never Been Better or Easier to Maintain

Food has been a big one for me in the past. But at first all I set up for myself was to focus on drinking water and eating as many fruits and veggies as I could. Later, I would commit to not having too many simple carbs, fried foods, and sweets. I let myself have the occasional treat.

When I realized my immobility was going to be a lot longer than I originally thought, I found a food program that I could do, but would still challenge me. I picked Weight Watchers online. The first week I went over "my points." The second week, I stayed within my points. And now, it is EXTREMELY easy for me to do. Even though the Weight Watchers points system allows for the occasional treat, during this 14 Day Mission, I have had my food the cleanest of my whole life.

I was a lurker.

I loved reading Adam's blog. I poured through the posts and thought, "I can't do that. I don't have the time, I have an injury, etc. etc.." And you know what? I haven't done that. Until recently, I have not set aside the time. I did not have the discipline. BUT I've done something, and this concept that Adam's talking about, progressive discipline, means that one day, I too, will be able to shred hard like Adam and the rest of the shredders, but in the meantime, I can enjoy the fruits of what discipline I can muster. And it grows all the time.

Here are some very personal photos that I thought I would never reveal.

Here are my before and after photos. I am smiling in my before photo, because I was very happy on that day. Not because I was the most disciplined person in the world or that I had hit such a painful point in my life, but because I set myself up to win. That first photo is one of MY FAVORITE PHOTOS of me in the whole world, because I am happy. In that moment, even in a bikini, even being fat, even not being that disciplined, I felt like I was enough. I even can see it and remember the feeling every time I look at it. I knew I would not fail this time, because I was already a winner. So are you. No matter what.

10 comments:

Michael said...

Christy, I admire you so much. You just put it out there like it is and that's an awesome trait to have. You can see amazing progress from your before pics til now. I am so happy for you that you've been able to do this. Imagine when you can really incorporate exercise into the mix? You are going to virtually disappear!

Mike

Debbie said...

Hi Christy,

You have made big changes since your before picture. Give yourself big pats on the back! I love your determination and coming here to read your newest post.

Debbie

Andrew said...

Hey Christy,

Your in the kitchen, nice one it can't be much further to that kettle, you better give the dog a bath soon and comb it's coat, it will be time for his picture soon!!!

It's nice to see your smile is back and look at the difference in your pics. You have and are still making amazing progress.

Take care,

Andrew

Sammy said...

Christy that is such a huge difference! And once again Christy I just wanna say...Thanks! I mean how many times have you put me back on my feet.. I'm glad to have met you :)

Sam

Anonymous said...

Wow, Christy, you have done an awesome job. aren't you glad you took those "first" pictures. now you can actually see how far you have come. I am so proud of you! you have stuck with it despite all the pain you are going thru. you might not think you have the intensity as Adam, but you do! just in a different way. I am so glad we decided to do this shred challenge. well i need to get off to my workout.

dougal said...

Wonderful blog entry C, "tears in my eyes" stuff, you are a revelation and an inspiration to me. Long may we always be together as a community. Everyone wants to belong to a community and for me it was either this or a street gang (kidding) think I made the right choice.

Andrew said...

Hey Christy,

To put a mega smile in your profile go to the following link and follow the instructions!!

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=42093&query=picture%20in%20profile&topic=&type=f

Take care,

Andrew

Adam Waters said...

Awesome Christy, you are displaying "progressive discipline" in real-time by upping your committment to do whatever it takes.

Cheers,
Adam

P.S. Great before and after pics!

Otter Christy said...

Michael, thank you. I hope by the time there's another shred mission, I can really do it like the rest of you. That would be cool.

Debbie, thanks for the pat on the back reminder. It's weird you type determined and then it spurs me on to actually be more determined. You're really awesome and especially great at encouraging every person on the shred.

Thanks for this post Andrew. I hadn't made it to the kitchen quite yet, but I did today! And thanks for the link to do the photo posting.

Sammy, when I better for next mission, I hope I work half as hard as you can. You're doing really great.

Suzette! YES, I am SO glad that I took those photos, and I cannot believe I posted them for everybody to see. I really like that photo despite what it may look like. Thanks for the comment about intensity, but Adam just is SO INTENSE, but I like the idea that intensity can look different and even stretch the definition to include whatever it is that I do. lol

Dougal! When you posted your before pics I went, that was so cool. I'm gonna do it, too. It's great being part of a community that is positive. PS I join your gang anytime.

Adam! You visited again. I'm so glad I did my homework. That's what it feels like when you ask us to blog about something. But I LOVED school, and you saying "Awesome, Christy" makes me want to print this out and pin it to my refrigerator. lol

Joni said...

Hi! Just finally catching up on your entries and had to say WOW you have done so well. It's such a milestone to put that before out there and you have really made great progress to show for all of us. Shredding is different for all of us I think, and you are doing great!
-JP