Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Day 12: Back to Basics



I've been thinking about this shred mission and what I've learned.

I've really learned what works for me and what doesn't. I I stated a mission goal above, and I've been working toward it. But I've realized something.

This kind of goal setting thing/affirmation thing I did above, it's not my bag anymore. Somewhere in my head I told myself, this is what I'm SUPPOSED to do. But that's not true. I was just scared to show myself the way I really am is all.

You see when I first set that goal above, I figured that I'd use those particular words, because it would be more tangible and in the spirit of the shred and be like less weird of a goal considering it was sort of weird that a girl with a walker is taking part in a shred mission at all so why have like a weird goal to go with it.

I thought I could set that goal using those words while secretly knowing my true mission was to put some energy and focus on my body and physical health, because that's the area I had been neglecting since my injury. (Heck my whole life except a few recent months)

But that's not what I wrote, and something happened.

My focus subtly switched. I didn't even notice that it became about exactly what I wrote above. In some ways putting energy toward my body and health looks the same as what I've been doing--walking, rehab exercises, and nourishing my body with good food. But when I started staring at my pics and weeping when I couldn't walk a certain distance, I knew I'd gone down the wrong path for me.

When I started this blog and my transformation journey I said I was just gonna focus on gratitude. I'm on a journey of getting away from being in the producing results business and into more of the enjoying the process business. Because it works better FOR ME.

I dig on being grateful for where I am no matter what. I like doing the work that is in front of me and enjoying it.

I've never put much energy toward my body until I came here to the Philippines, and then I lost some of that focus after a three weeks of being bedridden.

But my mission is to enjoy nourishing my body and enjoy the physical movement of my body. This IS what my next 10 weeks and beyond are gonna be about.

I'm sure as a byproduct of this much physical change will manifest. Heck, I lost 25 lbs. that way.

But, I'll enjoy each step cuz that's what I'm all about these days, and I'll being doing that as a service to other people, too, which means that energy will be mulitplied.

I think Lynda wrote, and I'm paraphrasing, that she was happy that this is what the Universe doled out next for her.

Man, I sure am, too.

16 comments:

dougal said...

Looking very good C, very good.
BTW, "salamat po" is a formal or polite way of saying "Thank you".

Ironically you should read my day 11 blog entry.

dougal said...

Sorry C, that should read day 12

Anonymous said...

only 2 days left! i am very proud of you!

Marbella said...

Hi Christy,
Thank you, thank you for sending me that comment today...it was really so uplifting, and I needed that. What I like about you is that you make ME feel so good. I always want to do a little skip after reading things from you! I just read Debbie´s blog too, and liked the saying from Howard Thurman that she included, so went to the Wikipedia that you had noted there. Found another one that think will include in all my Christmas cards...
"When the song of the angels is stilled, When the star in the sky is gone, When the kings and princes are home, When the shepherds are back with their flock, The work of Christmas begins: To find the lost, To heal the broken, To feed the hungry, To release the prisoner, To rebuild the nations, To bring peace among others, To make music in the heart." You are that music maker!
Lynda


[edit] External links

Otter Christy said...

Thanks Dougal. I checked it out.

Otter Christy said...

Thank you Suzette. I'm proud of you, too.

Otter Christy said...

Wow, Lynda. That is an amazing thing to say. I love that quote. I'm in tears with gratitude. Thank you.

Sammy said...

Christy, like you, I too find very much lesser reason to get a six pack. What I focus on, is on eating healthy and that gets me better. Different people, different focus.

Sam

Unknown said...

"enjoying the process business"! Got it sista...cause it is all about enjoying this gift and journey called life.
Looking great girl!!

Otter Christy said...

Thanks, Sam. I like that different people. Different focus. Wow, my post could have been so much shorter if I just wrote that.

Otter Christy said...

Diane, I couldn't agree more. I'm really feeling that today. Thanks for giving me one more reason to enjoy the gift and journey of life. Knowing you.

Anonymous said...

it is totally about the process. the "end" goal really isn't an "end", it is just the beginning of the next process. we don't live life to die. we live life to live. when i started my journey over a year ago i didn't really know what to "shoot for" i just knew i wanted to change where i was...any progress was progress for me. i have an "end goal" in mind but i don't know if i'll actually get there i just know i want to do my best to get there. will i be disappointed if i don't get there...i don't think so.
this whole 14 day process certainly has been enjoyable, but i know it doesn't stop at day 14...it is only the beginning!

Otter Christy said...

DOUGAL! Wait a second. Did you visit my website? Yes, it is the formal polite way to say thanks. You are totally RIGHT. haha

I totally MISSED that.

Otter Christy said...

Suzette, I agree. Plus, God may have a better, different plan that I could be delaying or not enjoying or ignoring (if that's even possible) if I cling too hard to what I've outlined for myself. Why limit it?

I'm having a good time now, and really looking forward to keeping this up.

Michael said...

Christy, I'm really glad that you are involved in the group shred. I find myself going to your blog each day to see what new insights you have to offer. I am truly thrilled with the progress you've made. I'm very proud of you and I am extremely glad to have met you online through this shred.

Mike

Otter Christy said...

Mike! I am so grateful and find it really cool that the Universe doled out my "after" in a group of just 14 people. How awesome is that! You had back surgery and NOW you do dead lifts! So, very much likewise, I'm glad we've been (and get to continue to be) on "a mission" together.