Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Day 26: Adam made me pause to think of cause for celebration


I read a comment that Adam wrote in Joni's blog that got me to thinking. He wrote:
... It really helps to fall in love with the process because the journey never really ends, but the journey is so much more fun when you hit a big goal!
I had two thoughts.

1) "That's true!"

-and-

2) "Crap, I don't want to miss out on fun."

For instance, on a really silly note, what the hell are you guys gonna put in my comments on Jan. 8th that will be unique to the day regarding finishing our mission? You know for the fun of it. 'Glad you're enjoying your continued health or whatever esoteric feeling you've been trying to write in your really long blogs.' lol

But really. That's not as much fun as typing, "Hey congratulations, Andrew. You ran a mile in 12 seconds while ironing five sets of school uniforms. Kudos!"

I started thinking, "how can I have my cake and eat it to?"

And it came to me ...

MILESTONES!

Yes, yes, milestones that could even take the form of those numbers and pictures that I have previously seen as possible sources of soul-crunching descent into darkness.

Just places I set in advance that I can look forward to on the horizon, when they are there celebrate the with all my heart, and later look back on them fondly.

And most importantly take no anxious or sad thought if one does not come by, because I will set, many, many POSSIBLE markers and remember my ultimate goal.

Ta-Dah!! I'm very happy with how this is working so far. I'll post some MILESTONES soon.

P.S. There is a really long and complicated back story as to why my thoughts really focus on how to avoid depression and anxiety. The short of it is I don't want to take the psychiatric-flavored meds. Just so you know it's not pure mental masturbation here.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Christy, setting milestones i a great motivational aid to keep you on the right track.
But remember to reward yourself from time to time.
To avoid depression I have my own medicine..LAUGH! Even when I do not frll like In my house there is ALWAYS a comedy DVD on TV.

Jemi9OD said...

Yay Christy - I look forward to seeing your milestones!

Otter Christy said...

Massimiliano! Laughter is great medicine. I should know I'm a comedian. I wish I were in LA so I had access to some videos to post of my act. (My blog is so serious.) Yes, I will come up with rewards. But, why do the first rewards my brain thinks of go to icecream and pizza? lol

Jamester!I just came from your blog to find you were here. Thank you for coming. I'm glad you're part of our gang. Go group RTP!

Michael said...

Christy, milestones are what it is all about. You can have a huge goal in front of you, but setting milestones (what I call "small goals") is what makes reaching that huge goal possible. I look forward to reading about your milestones and helping to encourage you to complete each and every one. You're awesome.

Sammy said...

Rewards~~~ Rewards make me think of tim tams and chocolate and ice cream.. Oh man, I don't know what has come over me I used to think my new body was my greatest reward.

N you're a comedian!!! You gotta send me those videos. lolz

Marbella said...

Hi Christy,
I know, I know, everybody is talking about scales and numbers, but I want to talk about that adorable, desirable little OTTER that you have put up. Makes coming here imperative...just to get to see him.
I want one too!!!
Lynda

Unknown said...

Hi Christy:
Thanks for the message - day one a the job was brutal, and that is to be expected, but the 23 other staff ate mostly new and a hoot...today was much better and I figure by week six I'll be flying. D