Saturday, November 10, 2007

My RTP Shredder Roundup

I just posted this in the comments on Adam's blog as instructed, but thought I'd post it here.

Being part of the RTP Group Shred was an amazing, experience.

I had no idea what to expect, was giddy with excitement, and, at first, a little nervous. But before Day One officially started, the nervousness subsided.

The Highs
The shredder roll call, reverse roll call and all of Adam's videos, the incredible bond between shredders, losing six pounds, getting kind comments daily from fellow shredders, and most importantly walking again.

The Lows
The photos. The process (which was time consuming) was not the hardest part, but actually seeing my pics on a regular basis and looking too closely for changes was really UN-FUN as I got into the second week. Staring at photos, for me, was like staring directly into the sun. The longer I did it, the less I could see. Take pics, post pics, spend your time eating clean (BIG component, super BIG component for me) shredding hard, and thinking big.

My Tips
• Take part in the Pre-Shred Excitement. It really gives you an extra jump on the good vibes and sets a tone for the entire shred.

• Give of thyself. Don't sit back and wait and expect people to read and comment on your blog. Get out there, read and post. You will feel more connected and more accountable. Plus, for me, there were some days when I was down, and reading good news on other people's blogs really lifted my spirits. I wouldn't have been invested in their good news if I didn't read every day.

• Did I mention to not stare at your photos?

• Fall in love with the process. Focus on your workouts, your eating, your blog, supporting your fellow shredders. Do not become overly focused on the results in your day to day. Set aside a set amount of time for you to check your progress (like weekly or in my case, the end of the shred) and fall in love with the shred. It will save you from getting too discouraged or if you turn a big result EARLY resting on your laurels.

If you are worried about whether or not you can do the shred, know you can. You cannot be in much worse physical shape than I was (I could not even walk or stand up without a walker). You do not need to be following the same program as everybody else, and you do not have to worry if it's the right time. There is always something you can do and you always have more to give than you think you do.

Invest in yourself. Take the plunge. I am very glad. I did. If you have any doubts or questions you post a comment and ask.

7 comments:

Adam Waters said...

Thank you so much Christy, you always write so well, and from your heart. Your words will inspire many people, just you wait and see!

Cheers,
Adam

Anonymous said...

great tips! especially not staring at your photos!

Michael said...

Honestly, I couldn't say why, but the pictures (my own) didn't really impress me at all. I didn't even notice alot of things until after other people commented on them. At the same time, having a pictorial record of the progress is incredible. Take a look at your day one picture and your day fourteen picture--you'll see what I mean. Totally incredible! The picture of you holding up the walker--awesome!

Otter Christy said...

Adam, thank you for complimenting my writing so often. You can have no idea, how much that means to me.

Suzette! I see the value in taking them, just not in my ability to crazily stare at them. Thanks

Mike, the walker pic is one that I felt compelled to take. I can see a difference from Day 1 to 14, but I would have been better off waiting until Day 14 ito look at it. Thanks for writing to me on our "off" week.

Joni said...

Christy,
Hey girl, just stopping by to say hi and that I agree with all your "roundup" comments. Was "off the grid" for most of the weekend but I'm back on track now and grateful for another week of shredding before the stats! Talk to you soon!
-JP

Andrew said...

Hey Drummer girl or should I say bass girl!!! Sorry couldn;t resist.

Still waiting to get the go ahead to add you to messenger, can't wait to chat with you in real time!! I said to Joni today that I am going to get pic in msn messenger today as this is not a problem so get it installed if not already!!

Loved your roundup and have to agree with Adam about your writing skills, they certainly put mine to shame. Hope you are will as you have not posted for a few days.

Take care,

Andrew

Miriam said...

congratulations Christy,
It looks like you got ahead of your goals already. Keep improving and take care.