Sunday, October 28, 2007

I learned a lesson today AND Episode 2 - Day 3



My Mini-Milestone

It's amazing how many feelings one can go through when on a mission.

I have been so excited I can't sleep. I just read blogs and check for comments and then read more blogs and make more comments and then watch Adam's videos. I'm like a crazy woman.

Today I was incredibly frustrated and then very excited to have hit a personal milestone, followed by complete exhaustion.

In response to my persuasive inquiries on my visit the day before this mission, my ortho approved me for some light-weight, arm exercises with the conditions that 1) I haven't had traction on that day. 2) If I am at all light-headed, no go. My blood pressure is running lower than its usual low (90/65 instead of my regular 110/70). 3) If I'm feeling any numbness in my limbs or sharp pain or shooting pain no matter how brief, quit everything and lie down flat until it subsides.

I got permission late on Thursday, but I had these weird pains. Friday, I had traction, no go on that. Saturday, I was feeling light-headed from my meds. So I cut down on my meds to make sure I could do something besides back exercises, today. But when I cut down on my meds: tons of pain, and scary numbness in my left arm.

I totally relate to Andrew's post today about it being hard to take a rest day. It's so hard to remember that for my goal to happen on Day 14, REST (not just sleep I get tons of that) but flat on my back, feet up, no moving REST, in addition to my exercises is an important part of my transformation. I know it may sound like it's easy, but I'm jazzed and hyper and I want sit up, practice standing, practice my posture, try to take steps, stretch, do back exercises, and read blogs for hours. It is so hard to just lay still. I mean, for crying out loud, I'm on a mission. I sometimes keep thinking, "I gotta do SOMETHING, right?"

Wrong. Life is always teaching me lessons. It's kind of annoying. lol. But today I learned one. Some times on some days in some moments, you have to learn to do nothing. It's both powerful and peaceful, and even rewarding. After my time of doing nothing, I realized that it can even be the best course of action. It allowed me to hit my first mission milestone. (see today's comic/photos)

If you look really close, you can see I've even shifted weight onto my right leg! It's not as folded in front of the other leg. I haven't been able to put barely any weight on my right leg or lock my knee even slightly. UNTIL TODAY. To paraphrase Diane, I am quite pleased.

And Now ...

Episode Two of Adam Waters
and his Band of RTP-blog.com Shredders


When we last left off Adam had led a group of 14 shredders on a 14-day, real time, transformation mission. Since day one, the band has increased to 15. Nearly sidelined due to technical problems, Alex joins the Team RTP-Shred in full force.

Our shredders underwent a myriad of triumphs from lunch with kids and cooking for family to rest days spent in the pool to victory over the temptation of a candy aisle. Spurred on to victory by an inspirational video from Suzette and comments from fellow shredders and onlookers alike our team still holds strong.

But many questions remain:

Will all 15 members be able to hold firm through the weekend?
Will Joni opt to cover her beautiful face on the big blog?
Will Adam finally get enough sleep for his double shred?

These questions answered and more when you tune in to: Episode 3.

Visit RTP-blog.com to tune into the events in Real Time. You can even learn of each heros individual adventures by clicking on their blog links. Collect all 15 action figures. Oh, okay, but be a REAL HERO and buy a t-shirt or other official Real Time Physique merchandise in the RTP store. ;)

PS Drop me a comment. I'm only checking them obsessively like twenty times a day.
PSS Thank you to everybody for coming by and all the kind words of encouragement. It makes a load of difference.

13 comments:

Debbie said...

Hi Christy,

Stay strong, lady. You are doing great and are very intuitive with how your body is reacting.

Debbie

Andrew said...

Hey Christy,

That is fantastic, I had to scroll down when I saw the text about look what's missing below. You must be OVER THE MOON!! Remember you still have to get the dog in the picture as well, that is milestone 2 for you!!

I hope you keep up the comic strip after the shred it is great to read and really puts a smile on your face..thanks.

But remember all that rest you were having you were not just doing nothing, you have been surfing blogs, hopefully learning new thigns as you go, making new friends and offering words of encouragement to loads of people.

Looking forward to day 4, tune in tomorrow night for the BF stats!!

Take care,

Andrew

Otter Christy said...

Debbie, thank you. It's been a tough lesson to learn to listen to my body, but not baby it. I really appreciate your compliment.

Andrew, yes, I am completely over the moon about it. And I actually re-learned about super setting in your blog and applied it to my rehab exercise. Thanks to you, I DID get in 1 and 1/2 more reps. I'll definitely be tuned in to your blog tomorrow for those stats.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Christy! on the standing with no walker milestone! You are doing great!! It is hard for a lot of us to be able to listen to our bodies, to know when to say "no" and when to say "go". I am so loving your "comic book adventure" And I so know what you mean about running around checking everyone's blogs. I was up until almost 3 am checking up on everyone. Cant' do that every day, but sure is fun. Everyone has been so encouraging that it just stirs my heart!

Unknown said...

You're my hero and you motivate me...keep going girl!
Diane
If you dare to believe, anything is possible!

Joni said...

I LOVE the comic book thing! It is so much more fun than just the pictures I feel like I'm being arrested every day when I put up mine! Thanks for keeping up with us all and I would say you'll be seeing my face every day except I had some miscommunication with Adam today and I am sadly absent from the blog. He'll update it as time warrants but don't think I'm not here with you!
-JP

Unknown said...

I really love your pictures with your words writted on like a cartoon very original!
I hav a quick scan on your blog and think you are a very special person!
Keep up the good job girl you are on the right path!(35? you look 25!!...are you using a special camera?)

Sammy said...

Haha! I love the comic book style pic. You gotta teach me how to do it. N congrats on going without a walker :)

Michael said...

OK, Christy, my post today was all for you. Hopefully you enjoyed it. As for rest days, I can tell you this--your body doesn't change when you are working out, it changes when you are resting. Our muscles recover when we sleep. That's why a rest day is so important. It can be hard, but it is essential. Until tomorrow...

Mike

John said...

Hi Christy! Thanks for commenting on my blog. Keep striving for your weight loss goal. I know you can do it! I'll be stopping by everyday to check up on your progress. You have my support till the end. Take care-Lito

Bec said...

With the determination in your words success is going to happen for you.
Keep up the spirit.
Thanks for your kind words to me as well.
Bec

Otter Christy said...

Suzette, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one up all night checking everybody's blogs. I mean I used to be up all night reading just yours and Adam's blogs. Thanks, as always.

Diane, your right. I believe we're all going to make it Day 14 and more. Thank you for coming by.

Joni! So glad u came by and didn't get bummed about by ur pic not getting up today. I didn't think u weren't w/ us even for a second.

Massimiliano! Thank you for saying I look young. It was really hard to feel young with a walker! Glad to see your are blog visiting. Isn't it fun?

Sammy, I'm not so great when it comes to web stuff. The pics are just drop and drag in a program called Comic Life that came with my MacBook. It's less complicated then your well-measured food plan. lol Thanks for coming by.

Michael, your post today was awesome. I poured over it and even googled the surgery. So many details and what I loved most--a happy ending. It was really great of you to answer my question so thoroughly. I really appreciate it. I thank you, and my back thanks you. And that point about resting is a good one. I'll remember it while I have to lay still, still, still, until the pain goes away. It makes it easier.

Lito, I'll be coming by your blog, too. I need to learn how to get a photo in the comments. That always look so cool.

Bec, thank you. Like you said on Adam's blog, it is so much easier to stay positive w/ all our fellow shredders isn't it? So cool.

Thank you everybody! We're doing this thing. Day 3! Almost day 4!

Adam Waters said...

I love it! Soon you'll be blogging about "Christy And Her Merry Band Of Shredders"

Keep shredding!
Adam