Saturday, July 26, 2008

Feeling confident

I went out with friends and we decided to walk down the street to get something to eat. I said I was going to walk, and other people asked to walk with me. I warned people in advance that I walk kind of slow, but as it turned out nobody noticed. When we walked back to our cars after dinner, which was about a mile down the road, I didn't even give my disclaimer again. I may have a bit of pain now and again (especially from my workouts and increased stretching), but I am so much more FUNCTIONAL. I'm so happy I could cry.

There's been lots of moments like that lately. Like when I chose my new apartment. Even though I felt a little pain when I climbed the stairs, I knew I could get up that flight of stairs every day. When I was in the Philippines, we were worried I would be able to maneuver the two steps from the family room with my walker. For SO LONG the world had just been a sea of stairs and long walks that I was trying to problem solve my way through (if I walk to the end of the street I could probably rest, I'll wait until those people are up the stairs so I don't slow people down, I'll walk by myself, because I have this tendency to get hyper talking to people and walk faster than I can and end up hurting myself, etc.). But slowly, as I've walked further, worked out little by little, I'm watching my body get stronger. And I've gone weeks at a time without taking even an Advil for the pain. But I may take one tonight. That push-up was hard on my lower back, but it was worth it. :)

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Christy, you are doing so wonderful and love your positive attitude! Glad to hear no one even noticed you walk slow - so you probably don't!