Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Gilligan's Island

I felt lost at sea and trapped. My Internet was down for OVER 24 hours. I have no idea how much water I drank as I usually just log in every two glasses and totally couldn't. ARGH. The power went out three times, too. I get this claustrophobic feeling here in the Philippines without Internet. Like I'm stranded on a deserted island. It's not the palm trees, because I've lived my whole life around palm trees in Florida and California. It's the fact that my Internet company is run by a bunch of Gilligan's that cannot answer the question: When will my Internet be back on?! Maybe the professor put together some coconuts and got it working again today.

BTW, bad, uninformed, corporate customer service and crappy hold music transcends all cultural barriers. It is now the universal standard.

Now, if I could just get my hands on some radioactive vegetables so I can swim my way out of here or maybe the Globetrotters can come by during sweeps week.

Did anybody watch that show? I didn't on purpose, but when you're a kid in the US without cable, it's that or the news some evenings.

6 comments:

Mike Groom said...

I know what you mean about when the internet is down. I feel the same!

I think bad customer service from ISPs is universal (as in "all over", not as the "universe did it").

I used to love Gilligan's Island as a youngster. I used to watch the Harlem Globetrotters as well. They were very clever!

KaliLilla.com said...

The opening of Gilligan's Island was filmed here on Kauai about 5 miles away from me. Just a little piece of useless trivia.

Debbie said...

I must confess I watched the show too. After seeing reruns, I don't think it was that good. I was more a Lost in Space fan.

btw: Are you Mary Ann or Ginger?

Debbie

Michael said...

...and we are all showing our age by admitting to it...

sauchagirl said...

Yes, I too watched the show. Somehow I must have blocked it out because I don't seem to remember any episodes. Lucky me.

Anyway, I just found your blog and is very inspiring. Thanks so much.

Raiden said...

I'm always at a loss when I don't have internet. I wasn't stranded on a deserted isle, but on one of my work terms I was on a boat in the middle of nowhere without land in sight for 3 1/2 weeks. We were allowed to hook up the coconuts and make a 10 minute phone call once a week.

I watched a lot of Gilligan's Island as a kid too, all those re-runs on TBS. Gilligan's Island, Happy Days, Brady Bunch, Bewitched.