Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Day 39 Everything and Nothing -- All at Once

Howdy Everybody! And by everybody, I mean Suzette and mythical visitors in some future time.

I've had both a lot AND simultaneously NOTHING going on. My Arnis (stick fighting) lessons are getting increasingly longer, (now 90 minutes long and very hard). My business is growing at a rapid rate and will soon be profitable. And I've opted to extend my stay in the Philippines by another month.

In Los Angeles, I am a very social person with sporadic hibernation periods. Just before I left the pressure of a large social circle (especially the company of eccentric yet neurotic artists), was kind of burning me out--too many phone calls to return and too much rain checking people who were getting pissed off that I couldn't hang out.

Here, I have had none of that and by NONE I mean I have not had one social invitation extended to me in this entire country. I have had social invitations sent via E-mail like today for a REALLY COOL PARTY that I'd previously would have taken for granted but now would KILL TO GO TO, but it is in LOS ANGELES. Every time I see an actor friend of mine on some tv re-run here, I am very happy but a little more homesick, too. I thought I hated all the pettiness of my LA life, but it wasn't ALL bad. I've just got to figure out how to negotiate the fun, artistic, stuff, without getting bogged down by the social climby, back-stabby, petty, stuff.

These days, I have essentially been trapped in a room with my computer and had very limited contact with other people. Although, not being distracted by social engagements has been good for my other goals for these last four months, if I'm gonna be able to stick it out here for 12 more weeks a friend or two in this country would not hurt. I don't just love my stick fighting lessons for the fitness--I CRAVE THE COMPANY.

It's been nice to have somebody to talk to other than my Mom (who I love and we get along), but she's retired and spends her time gardening and sitting on the porch. What can you say to the same person for four months:

INT. KITCHEN -- DAY

Christy gets a cup of coffee. Mom enters. Christy looks up.

CHRISTY
Anything exciting happen since
I last saw you--15 minutes ago? (beat)
Like maybe something with the grass? Or
on the porch?

Mom is either ignoring Christy or did not hear her. She shuffles to counter, grabs a coffee mug, and sets it next to Christy's. Christy pours Mom a cup of coffee.

MOM
Thanks, kid.

Mom stirs cream and sugar into her coffee. Then starts toward the porch.

CHRISTY
I'll be at my computer or pacing next to it
talking to myself if you need me.

Mom laughs and jokingly rolls her eyes.

MOM
Don't be so melodramatic.
------

That may have been very boring to read and for that I apologize. I AM LIVING THAT. Other conversations with Mom have actually included her saying "What are you staring at?" with my witty retort, "What are you staring at?" and me just randomly poking her while she tries to watch tv. It's like I am NINE YEARS OLD and these four months are the longest drive to Grandma and Grandpa's house ever. We're just joking around and not getting on each others nerves, which is cool, but we are definitely running out of things to say. Sometimes we will each get randomly lonely, walk to where the other person is and just say the words, "Bother, bother" and then sit there. It's kind of funny how loopy we're getting.

Which brings me to my long-winded point. I am grateful for my friends in Los Angeles that still write and call. I really have the tendencies toward the extremes. I will work on more of a balance socially here. It's the same with my romantic relationships as well. Intense relationship, rapid dating, NO DATING, rapid dating, intense relationship. Blah, blah, blah.

Man, I wish I blogged on the days when I got in ALL my fruits and vegetables and water. I was on A ROLL at the beginning of this month. But today, No journal, no chapter, no meditation (probably why I'm a little drained) 4 glasses of water, too many cups of coffee, 90 minutes stick fighting, 3 servings fruit and vegetables, two pieces cinnamon bread. (Yikes)

Gratitude List
1) As mentioned above FRIENDS in Los Angeles
2) Cinnamon bread
3) Tofu
4) contact lense case (what it took to find one in Dumaguete was a miracle)
5) Healthy tooth and the ability to eat on BOTH side of my mouth. Yahoo!
6) E-mail
7) My friends book getting published!
8) 31 extra days
9) July business earnings and growth
10) New transformer/converter thingy and the fact that I did NOT burn the house down despite all the smoke caused by my American hairdryer blowing up the last transformer/converter thingy
11) A mom who humors my "melodramatic" tendencies

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be quite a change for you to go from being a "social bug" to being "trapped" in one place all the time. I would have gone stir crazy by now. It has allowed you an opportunity to evaluate your life and hopefully come to terms with who you are and where you want your life to go. If at least to be at peace with yourself(or attempt to). Take a step back and evalutate what is important to you in your life and live it!
Does any of this make any sense?

Otter Christy said...

Yes, it really does. It's been a very interesting time. Actually what you wrote here is the impetus for my entire visit to the Philippines. To take that step back so I can see where I want to step forward.