Sunday, August 10, 2008

Caffeine Cutdown

It's so odd. Left to my own devices I don't drink as much caffeine if it's just not in the house. I just bought really good decaf coffee and have been too lazy to lug a 2 liter bottle of soda from the store. Since I walk to the store to get my food for the most part, if I get soda, I can't carry too much else. As a result, NO DIET COKE. I just have one or max two a day. Sometimes none. Here's the crazy thing: If I drink a diet coke and have a regular cup of coffee with it (I used to always have a diet coke while I was waiting for my coffee to brew), I totally get all shaky (hypoglycemia). I read a cool article about it on the internet. I have had issues with anxiety attacks and I have been logging my moods and foods, and noticed that caffeinated coffee seems to bring about some of the early symptoms of an attack.
# Coffee Elevates Stress Hormones

* Caffeine in coffee elevates the stress hormones cortisol, epinephrine (also known as adrenaline) and norepinephrine.11, 12, 13, 14 These hormones are responsible for increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, and a sense of “emergency alert”. Circulation of oxygen to the brain and extremities is decreased and the immune system is suppressed. Elevated epinephrine levels can decrease insulin sensitivity.15
* The purpose of this “fight or flight” response is to provide the body with a temporary energy boost for intense physical activity. With today’s sedentary lifestyle, the continual state of increased stress resulting from caffeine consumption negatively impacts health. Although research about the effect of stress on diabetes is inconclusive, stress management has been shown to improve blood sugar regulation.16

I've also noticed the weirdest thing about coffee and that awesome low-fat Bryers or is it Dryers? slow-churned ice cream. When I would drink a lot of coffee at my sister's house I would totally overeat on ice cream, but it wasn't like indulging it was like I needed that ice cream to stave off the shaky, jittery feeling. It mentions it in the article. That low-fat icecream has a low glycemic index.
The body’s reaction to hypoglycemia results in food cravings, often of higher fat foods with a lower glycemic index, further increasing the hypoglycemic effect.
Tonight we all went out for frozen yogurt, and I couldn't even finish a small. Wasn't even tempted to finish it. So strange. It's really interesting how putting focused attention on what I'm eating, and how I feel after eating it is helping me. I've haven't been dieting all week, and I haven't gained any weight. I'm gonna keep logging my moods, foods, and workouts and see what happens.

6 comments:

KaliLilla.com said...

Very interesting post Christy. I would have never guessed ice cream was low glycemic because of it's sugar content.

Sounds like you've hit on some good discoveries for yourself. :)

Michael said...

I think you are on to something.

Andrew said...

Hey Christy,

How's tricks?? That's great news with the caffeine. I try to drink no more than 3 cups of coffee a day and very rarely have soda's generally orange squash, quenches your thirst. Fizzy drinks don't quench your thirst!!

Take care,

Andrew

Ron said...

Interesting findings on coffee there.

Marbella said...

So good that you are thinking all these things thru. You will surely find out what works best for you...voila...a Happier Christy!
Lynda

Bec said...

Hi Christy , Its a love hate relationship with coffee. Love the taste but hate its affects.
Bec