Saturday, September 29, 2007

Sciatica! Never heard of it, but I know what it is now.

Can you believe my leg pain has nothing to do with my legs? It has everything to do with my spinal injury from the car accident--AND that is such a relief.

Yes, it's a bummer to know that my accident from over three years ago is still affecting me today, but I'm SO RELIEVED that I don't have a bad back and a screwed up knee or leg.

Basically, there is a nerve called the sciatic nerve that runs from near the base of my spine and all the way down the legs. The sciatica is what they call the symptoms that I have been feeling. Basically, from what my understanding is, my old injury that cause a protrusion in my L5 S1 part of my spine has kind of been aggravated by my Arnis training and now whatever it is that I did has moved something or done something that is pinching this nerve and causing all this weird muscle spasms and odd pain.
Basically I have to lay flat on my back and try not to move too much. Plus icing, heating, b12 shots and some medication to take down the swelling and inhibit the pain.

THE GOOD NEWS is that I don't have to postpone my return to the US. The bad news is I have to give up my Arnis training. I am very grateful to have learned what I have learned and look forward to maybe being strong enough one day to do it again.

I DID however last six whole weeks. And now that I know more about this sciatic nerve thing it's really useful. I even can remember when it started acting up. The thing is it felt more like a tight muscle and it really didn't hurt at first. Just the occasional spasm. Now I know that I will STOP exercising whenever I feel that.

Not that I will be able to start any big exercise programs soon. I have a six week minimum rest period from my doctor.

After that, I'll really just focus on the back exercises my physical therapist gave me. I'm going to start watching my diet BIG TIME now.

If I can lose just 30 lbs, it will help my back and ability to participate in physical activity tremendously. And this pain, and immobility will definitely be the motivating factor.

I am grateful for this time, learning new stuff, and for having the guts to try something different. I won't be able to make a dramatic transformation like many of my online friends, but I can take small steps (well figuratively at this point) toward improving my health.

Today it's actually not getting out of bed much. But I'm also going to eat no junk food or fried foods or sweets today. This back thing is temporary. It's not even bad like it was after the accident. I AM VERY GRATEFUL for this and my wonderful doctor.

Plus, I found an awesome partner for my business. Look what the neat greeting card widget they gave me for My Thank You Site.


My Gratitude List
1) My doctor
2) My Mom
3) Internet
4) Laptop (I can be in bed and barely move)
5) My online business (Imagine if I had a boss and paperwork mounting. Uck.)
6) Medication
7) Inexpensive nurse to give b12 shot daily
8) Josie our house girl
9) hot towel and ice compresses
10) Greeting Card Universe

No comments: