Tuesday, June 12, 2007

You Are Enough

Hello there,
My Mom and I went to Cebu last week to buy a digital camera, see a movie, and most importantly cash in her lottery ticket. My Mom has a lotto system that few people including myself understand. Essentially she sees patterns with the numbers. As a Mother's Day gift my brother and I gave her money to play the lottery. Like $100. It seems excessive to play $100 in the lottery, but my Mom really wanted to play, because it was a really big pot and she has a system.

Flashback to the Florida lottery over twenty years ago when my Mom really wanted to play. My Dad at the last second cheaped out and bought $20 less in lottery tickets. We won five number out of six and bought a new van for my Dad's floor-care business. In the stack of tickets on the television set that we didn't buy--YES the winning number. No joke. My Dad was devastated as were the rest of us. My Mom was psyched! All she cared about was that she knew her system worked.

We didn't win the big one this time, but she did win more than we played. She usually does, and I learned a valuable lesson. I'll never be a naysayer again. That's not true entirely. I have naysayed. I did learn the lesson to always give my Mom money to play lotto when she really wants to play.

BTW, I'm still feel kind of crappy from our trip to Cebu, because our cab got in a really bad accident. I slept for a few days and still feel a little weird. I've been the passenger in a number of car accidents and am still healing from one a few years ago, so they kind of hit me hard. What am I grateful for? That I'm feeling better already. That I can sit up and walk and all that other good stuff that I formerly would have taken for granted.

Why did I call this blog, You Are Enough? Simply, because despite all the thoughts to the contrary, it is true. You are enough. It doesn't depend on how much money you have, how thin you are, how powerful or successful you are or how many things you checked off on a to do list. You are enough, because you are. A guy I hold in high regard said to me, "The first lie is that you are not enough. The second is that you can do something about it." It's because if you embark upon doing something to be enough, you've already accepted the first lie. And I've spent my whole trying to do something. I wonder if that's why I'm writing this blog?

Oh well. You're ARE enough whether you know it or not. Maybe for a few seconds at a time, I can feel that today. And since time is an illusion, I'll know it is always so.

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures. ~Thornton Wilder

Check out my website: www.my-thank-you-site.com

No comments: