Thursday, June 14, 2007

I'm told my blogs are too long

I'm in the Philippines visiting my Mom. I enjoy my family. I enjoy other people, but I enjoy my family most. I kick it old school like that.

My Mom's assistant Darwin eats dinner with us tonight. We had French bread with dinner. Last time Darwin had French bread at our house, he told his Mom and she said Darwin is really becoming like an American.

I spent the evening impressing Darwin with my amazing ability to define the difference between the word "anytime" and the phrase "all of the time."

Mom is high from finding more winning lotto tickets in her purse. She wins so often she is forgetting to cash in the tickets. She keeps counting the money and laughing.

It reminds me of our Viva Las Christmas when she won over $400 on the nickel slots. Her hands are covered in nickel dust. Her purse strains under the weight. We're waiting in line for a cheap buffet and she whispers to me giggling, "Kid, it's like I just can't lose."

What am I grateful for today? French bread, my amazing grasp of English, and I'll say it--my mom.

Check out my website. Even people in Seychelles and New Zealand are doing it:
www.my-thank-you-site.com

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Hey Christy,

Aren't mums great. Really miss mine!! And you thought people were not reading these blogs entries.

Sounds really different living over there compared to the US, a real different culture, dropping the cows off on the way to work rather than the kids!

Not sure if you go into the detail in your blog I have not got there yet but what is it that your Mom does? She sure knows a lot about construction?

Take care,

Andrew

Otter Christy said...

OMG! What on earth are you doing here! I'm sorry for the loss of your Mum. My Dad has passed on, too.

It is pretty different. Mom was an engineer for Westinghouse before she retired. She learned a lot of drafting. She watches things so closely. You never know what she's picking up on. All the houses here were leaking come rainy season and have tons of plumbing problems--not Mom's.